Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Lesson #27: New traditions set in

There is not a holiday I love more than Christmas.  Everything about it (except for the song "Christmas Shoes") holds a special place in my heart.  Most of that love probably came from my beautiful Mom who adores Christmas, too.  The tree, ornaments, Christmas movies, cheesy songs (besides the aforementioned cheese terror claiming to be a song), the whole shebang.  I can't get enough of it.  Like my Mom, if there aren't Christmas decorations up over Thanksgiving week, my mood does tank.  All of that to say, Christmas rocks my socks off.

This year, things have to be a little different.  The normal holiday traditions that I love taking part in, some will have to happen without me.  I didn't get to be at my parents' house to put up and decorate the main Christmas tree.  That's right, there's more than one tree.  We won't be at my family's church for Christmas Eve.  I won't wake up in my parents' house for Christmas morning.  It's going to be weird.

Do I love Lyndon?  Absolutely.  Am I thrilled to celebrate our first Christmas together?  Of course.  Am I ready to give up family traditions in lieu of new ones that Lyndon and I should start together?  No.  I don't think I ever will.  So while life goes on and new traditions are started, my heart will always have a sad spot where family Christmas traditions once were.

I may or may have just teared up.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there Mrs. Griner, yes....I am a follower :). My first Christmas away from my usual traditions and family was almost too difficult for me. Not saying you won't have a great time with Lyndon, just sayin, I get ya ;). My first married Christmas was spent up in SD, 9 hours away from my family, with different people, and foreign traditions. I love those people, and can't wait to see them again....but, I'll put it this way....Christmas is my favorite and my dad cried Christmas morning because I wasn't there. BUT! Keep faith, the new traditions (and some old taken from our families) will create amazing memories for you and Lyndon. And someday when...or if...there are little Nat's and Lyn's pattering around, you'll have created an awesome Christmas experience special for them. So, with all of this cheese I have poured into this comment, I will end with....we need to watch Elf...best Christmas movie ever!

    -Chelsea Hudalla

    ReplyDelete